The search for the perfect powder!

Oh my. So, I've been using this Covergirl powder in Ivory color for a long time now. It's not a bad quality and very well priced, so I was relatively happy with it.

Then the problem began. The powder box kept breaking. And of course, it's a mess. Imagine powder all over your purse and the applicator all dirty JUST when you really need to hide some shine on your face. So I decided I must get a new powder.

I had 3 criteria:
1. It must be of good quality
2. It must be only powder - no pressed concealer, no half-bronzer, strictly powder
3. It must have a box that not only would last but that would be beautiful. So I could take out my powder from my purse even in the middle of dinner and quickly powder my nose and it would be this beautiful feminine act instead of powder all over me and my food :D

So I first started looking at cheaper stores like London Drugs (like a drugstore), then Sephora (specialty makeup) and couldn't find anything!

The cheap make up was all in ugly, easily breakable boxes.. like Covergirl:



It looks pretty here.. but trust me, give it a couple weeks :D

Or there would be expensive, professional make-up like NARS or Laura Mercier.. which I'm sure is good quality.. but the box is still ugly!


So finally I went to the department store and started looking at designer brands.

I know, I know.. it might seem crazy to choose make-up just for how beautiful the box looks. I should focus mostly on quality right?

But I just really had this image in my head of me using this beautiful powder and not being shy about the box.. :D So I'm stubborn. And wait till you see how pretty the others are :D

I went to the store and found two options that I liked:

1. CLARINS - Ever Matte Mineral Powder Compact


What I like about it: 
The box: a beautiful golden, slick case
The makeup: I like that it's a Mineral makeup which I've always wanted to try

What I don't like about it:
The box: it's actually a little too small, maybe I'm strange but I just thought it was a little tiny
The makeup: (1) I've never tried anything from Clarins before. I know it's a very popular brand in Europe, it's not as known in North America. I've actually heard mixed reviews..
(2) I don't like that it's compact "foundation" - again maybe I'm being strange but I'm just set on it being a powder and nothing else. I did try the consistency though and it was very light.

 2. Estee Lauder Double Matte Oil-Control Double Matte Pressed Powder




What I like about it:

The box: It's beautiful! Navy and Gold and not too much writing on top.. just perfect!
The makeup: I love that it's oil-control, that is just what I need for my skin. Also, I have many decorative makeup items from Estee Lauder and they are all top quality so I can trust this brand.

What I dont like about it:
The box: It's a little too big :D I know, I'm crazy picky, but I may be able to just overcome this
The makeup: I kind of wish it was mineral makeup because I've always wanted to try it


So right now, I am thinking about my options :D 
What do you think? Am I being crazy here? :D

Also, what kind of powder do you have? :)

4 comments:

  1. Out of these two, I'd definitely go for the mineral powder. It's more gentle for your skin. Also, the box is a lot classier compared to the latter one and it's not saying hey I'm a powder box like the other one does :D

    I know you're picky about the appearance and this is nothing special on that dimension, but go check it out anyway:
    http://www.bareescentuals.com/bareMinerals-READY-SPF-15-Touch-Up-Veil/USmastertouchupveil,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=BM_SUB_FINISHING_POWDER

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. after switching to bareminerals, I haven't used powder during the day anymore. I put on my make-up in the morning and it's fine until the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, see I was totally leaning towards the other one :D I like almost everything about Estee Lauder! But yes the mineral ingredient is tempting.. hmm. I will have to go look again :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hey now that you're in the states, you should try out mineral make up too!

    ReplyDelete